The Matilija Coalition is an alliance of community groups, businesses, and individuals committed to the environmental restoration of the Ventura River watershed. Starting with the removal of Matilija Dam, we are working for the recovery of the bioregion to benefit the recovery of the Southern Steelhead trout and to restore the natural sediment supply to the beaches of Ventura.
Our Vision for the future is:
- See the Ventura River flowing free from mountains to the sea;
- A thriving population of steelhead trout in its waters;
- A healthy, native ecosystem;
- A wide, sandy beach along the coast; and
- Opportunities for public enjoyment, education, and recreation for current and future generations.
Our Objectives are to:
- Advocate for an ecologically sensitive, cost effective, and timely removal of the Matilija Dam;
- Build expertise in dam removal and watershed restoration;
- Build our capacity as the link between community, government, and science;
- Communicate updated information through print and electronic publishing;
- Develop programs that promote community participation and direct action;
- Grow a broad coalition of active support.
Objectives for Removing Matilija Dam
Improve aquatic and terrestrial habitat to benefit fish and wildlife species. Benefit: Endangered Steelhead Trout
Hydrologic and sediment transport
Restore hydrologic and sediment transport of the river to pre-dam conditions. Benefit: Beach restoration
Return dam property to the US Forest Service to become an outdoor education and recreation site. Benefit: Public access and education